WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced real estate lawyer and real estate broker.
62735101

A 60ft long - 12ft high cement wall which is a remnant of an

Customer Question

A 60ft long - 12ft high cement wall which is a remnant of an old incinerator building (1950s?) exists on property line separating town property and ours in the Village of Sea Cliff, located in the Town of Oyster Bay, Nassau County, New York. We always thought it was a proper retaining wall as it was covered with ivy. When the ivy was removed by the town a few years ago, we discovered what it actually was. Is the town required to follow current retaining wall code? Or since it is pre-existing it does not? What are the code requirements for pre-existing structures? It is a terrible eye sore and the town is saying it is pre-existing and are not obligated to spend $ to reface since it only impacts us visually. Since they require town residents to follow guidelines & standards for retaining walls, pre-existing or otherwise, are they not as well?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  WiseOwl58 replied 7 months ago.
You should get the site tested for tested for toxic chemicals in the ground and take it to the city council demanding that they remove the walls and remediate the ground to clean up the site. The key to getting this removed will be to show the toxicity in the ground, and that way the municipality will become scared of lawsuits against it and having to pay big damages. That will be the key to getting this removed. They have already said that they won't do anything about the aesthetics but they will fix any toxic risk. Please rate 4 or 5 and close out the question. Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.
Expert:  WiseOwl58 replied 6 months ago.
Please rate 4 or 5 and close out the question. Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.