Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I am trying to buy a piece of property in which there is a

Customer Question

I am trying to buy a piece of property in which there is a significant difference between the current deed and the tax map (a ~500 sf portion of land is shown on the tax map as part of my parcel but not shown on my deed).I am planning to hire an attorney to bring a Quiet Title action to attempt to resolve the discrepancy, but would like to better understand the process first.My questions are as follows:- Would a quitclaim deed from all adjoining property owners be sufficient to allow the deed to be updated or do I need a court order resulting from a successful quiet title action?- If I pursue the quiet title action, will publishing the notice of the claim be adequate or will I need to serve all adjoining property owners?- What else should I prepare other than a survey of the subject property, a survey of surrounding properties showing the void, and the deeds for my property and the surrounding properties?Thanks for any advice!
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 6 months ago.
I am trying to buy a piece of property in which there is a significant difference between the current deed and the tax map (a ~500 sf portion of land is shown on the tax map as part of my parcel but not shown on my deed). I am planning to hire an attorney to bring a Quiet Title action to attempt to resolve the discrepancy, but would like to better understand the process first. My questions are as follows:- Would a quitclaim deed from all adjoining property owners be sufficient to allow the deed to be updated or do I need a court order resulting from a successful quiet title action? Response 1: Quitclaim Deed would be sufficient. Obviously, if the owners do not agree, then quiet title action will be necessary.- If I pursue the quiet title action, will publishing the notice of the claim be adequate or will I need to serve all adjoining property owners? Response 2: You would need to serve all property owners. - What else should I prepare other than a survey of the subject property, a survey of surrounding properties showing the void, and the deeds for my property and the surrounding properties? Response 3: I cannot think of any. However, whatever route you choose, it should start will professional survey of the property. Kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this. Thank you for your cooperation.