Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
10285032

Is there a way to stop the building of a house way out in front

Customer Question

Is there a way to stop the building of a house way out in front of existing houses? It would block the view of the ocean for 4 houses and reduce the value of them
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Under WA law, there is no right to a view. Thus, the only way to stop construction would be based on the construction violating some zoning ordinance or building code. The fact that the new home is being built on land where it would obstruct views of other homes is not legally actionable, even if the loss of the view may decrease the value of the other homes. You would have to prove that the construction violates some zoning or building code and if it does not and if the person owns the property they are building on, they have a right to build on their land I am afraid.