Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992

Without my consent my joint tax returns were used by my wife

Customer Question

without my consent my joint tax returns were used by my wife to secure a mortgage loan, again without my consent do i have any recourse against the mortgage broker and underwiter for these actions?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 5 months ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. When you state it was a joint return, do you mean they were joint with her as well? Normally that would be so, but the answer is entirely dependent on this fact and so I want to verify.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Yes joint with my wife
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
yes joint with mt wife
Then no, there is no recourse. Joint tax returns are equally accessible (and usable) by either party to a financial transaction. Without your agreement you wouldn't be liable for the debt based solely on those tax returns, of course. But if the wife provided the tax returns to the mortgage broker and underwriter then they would have been allowed to view them and use them to assist her in obtaining a mortgage.