Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years

My landlords want to sell our house. I know they have the right

Customer Question

My landlords want to sell our house. I know they have the right to do so, and the right to show the house. Are they allowed to come in and take pictures to publish on real estate websites with full view of all of our personal belongings? They have pictures of the house completely empty from before we moved in, and the only change between then and now is our property. Do we have legal right to deny consent to their real estate agent taking pictures to publish? My husband is a disabled veteran with severe PTSD/Anxiety. He needs to feel safe, secure and comfortable at home (since he can't get that anywhere else). We do NOT feel comfortable with anyone being able to see what we own and where everything is. Our previous house had been broken into twice while we lived there, so we are very careful with any potential for theft. I don't know anyone that wants the general public to have full access to view their entire house and personal property, but given my husband's issues and our previous experiences, this is a particular concern for us, especially since they have pictures of the house empty already. The important question though is, can we say no?
JA: OK. The Real Estate Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not yet
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Real Estate Lawyer should know?
Customer: Not at this time
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Real Estate Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 5 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question..While the landlord has a right to show and sell the house, you also have a right to "exclusive use and possession" and a right to privacy during your tenancy that must be considered as well..So I would opine that you have a reasonable expectation of privacy in your home which would include not having all your personal property photographed and put out in the world for all to see..Having been an attorney for 15 years and a landlord for over 26, I feel that you are legally within your rights to refuse to allow them to enter the home for purposes of photographing and publishing unless it is in an area where you agree to allow it. This is especially true considering that they already have photos of the property empty...thanksBarrister