Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

I bought a house 2 weeks ago and just found out the main drain

Customer Question

I bought a house 2 weeks ago and just found out the main drain going to the street is bad and the seller did not disclose that to me do I have any options?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question..Is this something that you had a plumber check out and he stated it was a long time problem?.Did the seller complete a seller's disclosure of property condition?.If so, this wasn't disclosed, correct?.If not, did the seller sell the house "as is" without any disclosure?..thanksBarrister
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have not had a plumber here yet but I know it is bad the seller did sell as is. When I first looked at the house roto rooter was here so the seller had to know it was bad.
Ok, here is your problem... If you actually saw Roto Rooter there, then that should have put you on notice that there might have been problems with the line and the burden would then have been on you to have the line inspected prior to purchasing to make sure it was ok or find out what was wrong with it and how much it would cost to fix. Then you negotiate the price based on them either fixing it or crediting you for the cost...So with the fact that it was sold "as is" and that you had actual knowledge that Roto Rooter was there for a problem, I am afraid that I don't see a judge ruling in your favor because you knew or should have known there was a problem and chose to continue on with the purchase..I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy.....thanksBarrister