Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer- Broker 30+years - foreclosure, short sale, liens, title attorney.
18215332

I'm possibly going to buy a house contract . I'm afraid

Customer Question

I'm possibly going to buy a house contract for deed. I'm afraid I will fix up the house and then the seller will not want to sell.
JA: OK. The Real Estate Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not yet.
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: The house I'm possibly buying is in need of restoration. It's very cheap but could be worth a lot eventually. I'm afraid if I restore it, the seller will decide to keep it and sell to someone else for more money.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Real Estate Lawyer should know?
Customer: Not at this time.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Real Estate Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 6 months ago.
Good afternoon, and thanks for contacting just answer. You must not do any repairs to the home until you have a contract which gives you the right to purchase the home for a specific price. That way, the owner can never back out and decide to sell a home to someone else after you have fixed it up. There are several types of contracts that may be used. One is called a "land contract" another would be a "lease with option to purchase". Either one, if done correctly will protect you against what you fear about a seller changing their mind about selling to you.Please don't forget to enter a rating by clicking on one of the five boxes at the top of this reply. We are not employees of Just Answer, and only receive credit for assisting you when the rating is positive. AND THANKS FOR USING JUST ANSWER.