Joseph Rizzo
Joseph Rizzo,
Experience:  managing partner at rizzo and assocates
93736953

Somebody help me??? on 05/13/2014 I met with a landlord in

Customer Question

somebody help me??? on 05/13/2014 I met with a landlord in order to rent a apt. the apt that we had agreed for me to rent was unit 506 with move in date to be 06/07/2014. on 05/29/2014 landlord called me to inform me that tenants changed their mind and that I would have to wait until another unit was available 3 weeks later on 06/20/2014. I had to pay for stay of exsecution to stay longer at previous address along with losing truck rental deposit for cancellation of reservation, and also extra storage fees. all of which landlord never compensated me for. I moved into other unit on 06/20/2014 and on 07/22/2014 landlord served me with 90 day move out notice and stated reason was he wanted more money for the rent. move out date was to be 10/22/2014 and I was given 30 day extention until 11/22/2014. I was given another 30 day extention plus extra time due to christmas and new move out date was to be 01/15/2015. please understand that I have at that point been living at this apt. for 6 months and havent yet unpacked. what would be the point of unpacking to turn around and repack? on 12/17/2014 land lord decides to resind 90 day move out notice. on 12/29/2014 landlord serves me 60day rental increase notice to become in effect 03/01/2015. same month rent increase started and on 03/22/2015 landlord serves me again with 90day move out notice. move out date of 06/22/2015 and again states he wants more money for the rent. so now what little I have unpacked I have to start repacking. on 05/17/2015 landlord serves me with another 90day move out resind notice and serves me with 60day rental increase notice. new rent increase to become effective 08/01/2015. on 02/27/2016 landlord serves me again with 60day move out notice and again states he wants more money for the rent. landlord has now extended move out date of 04/27/2016 until 05/27/2016. and I havent yet been able to find a new place to move?? all this stress has caused me to become very ill. he is threatening to keep my $1400.00 deposit and charge me attorney fees of $600.00 plus court fees if I havent turned my keys over on 05/27/2016. please tell me if this isnt considered landlord abuse or not?? & what can I do???
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Joseph Rizzo replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. Do you have a lease?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No I don`t have a lease. And you charged my card $50!!! I did NOT authorize you to charge my card $50!!!

I did not charge your card anything.
but let me try to answer your question any way.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. When you are a tenant without a lease you have a tenancy at will. Under California Law, the Landlord may terminate the lease at anytime with 30 days or more written notice. Basically, what the landlord did each time was terminate your lease then give you a new lease at a higher rate. While this behavior is certainly bad it does not rise to the level of harassment. If you are seeing a therapist of some sort you might be able to proceed under a theory of intentional infliction of emotional distress. But you will need to show damages which could be the cost of treatment, lost work, sickness etc. My suggestion would be to find another apartment to live or if he gives you another chance demand a lease. Leases are there to protect both parties by delineating the rights of parties. I hope that answers your question. Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes just answer charged my card $50. & I didn`t even authorize NOR get a answer before I was charged!!! & I need that $50.00 to pay my pg& e bill !!

I am sorry about the misunderstanding between you and justanswer. i'm sure that if you raise this issue with customer support they will give you a satisfactory response. Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!
Hello,Is there any other question I can help you with?Joe