Richard, Lawyer
Experience:  32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.

What are the time frame requirements landlord to evict

Customer Question

What are the time frame requirements for a landlord to evict a tenant?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.
Good afternoon Jon. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you. Even if you are in default, if you don't leave, the law does not allow the landlord to forcibly evict you without obtaining an eviction order from a court. What that means is that if you do not move out, the cannot simply change the locks or throw your things out. Rather, what the landlord has to do is to first deliver a 10-Day Notice to quit...which basically says you have 10 days to leave or face eviction. But, if you still don't leave, the landlord must then file an unlawful detainer petition with the court for an eviction order. Depending upon the court's docket, it can take anywhere from about 15 days to a couple of months to get a hearing. Only when a judge has issued the eviction order can the landlord have the tenant evicted.
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.
Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!