Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of real estate practice experience.
17897874

Can a board of directors go up on a leasing permit 5 times

Customer Question

Can a board of directors go up on a leasing permit 5 times amount you were paying. I was paying $65.00 dollars per year for leasing permit. They elected 5 BOD in our community and they decided to go up to $365.00 per yer on leasing permit. Also, the president of the BOD has a business in her Townhouse and she is running a gym. I feel like if they are going up on us that they should go up on a permit in our community besides Cobb County Georgia permit. I would like to address the BOD but I do not know how and do not know the buy laws. Also our TH went down weng the economy went down and we had some foreclosure's plus our people who have taking care of our town house community have not been doing a good job and I think they think our rental is causing them to go down. I get $2500. a month for my rental and the people who rent in there are very good rentals. If they are going to pay that much it looks like they should not be going down. Could you please advice me what to do? Thank you very much.
Jackie Gilliam
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you. I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.Unless the bylaws provide something contrary, the board is permitted to raise fees and regulate the rental of units. In order to fight this you would need to amend the bylaws to reverse the permit fee. Check the bylaws for the process required for amendment. Usually, it requires calling a special meeting and calling for a vote. The bylaws will describe what you need to do.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (Excellent or Good) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.