Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
10285032

I own a Coop in NYC and the management of the

Customer Question

I own a Coop in NYC and the management of the building keeps harassing me about have 80% carpet down on the floors to reduce potential noise. Management has approved my coop three times but still harasses me for inspections. I listed my coop for sale some time back because it was become too much to deal with this building and there ever changing rules. But then I unlisted, management now has perposely looked at my old listing online and now wants to inspect my apartment again. This seems like an invasion of my privacy. Do I have a case, so they leave me alone.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
The problem with these co-ops is that they are governed by their bylaws and rules. So you need to review those rules and bylaws regarding their right to enter and inspect, since the laws say that the bylaws of the Co-op govern what they can or cannot do in this regard.
If they are making unreasonable inspections, which typically is interpreted by courts to mean more than 1 time a year, you can consider suing the board for harassment and invasion of your privacy. However, if you have the bylaws and they permit inspections, you are stuck and bound by the Co-op rules/bylaws.