Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  JA Mentor

I have a question about co-tenants JA: The Real Estate

Customer Question

Hello I have a question about co-tenants
JA: The Real Estate Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: I have not
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: My roommate moved out without notice. Still has a key, still has things there but won't pay rent since he moved most of his things out May 1st.
JA: OK. The Real Estate Lawyer will need to help you with this. Is there anything else important you think the Real Estate Lawyer should know?
Customer: No I can talk to them
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Real Estate Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 5 months ago.
Hi, I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Your roommate has an agreement to pay rent, and that agreement is binding. As long as he is using the space by leaving his belongings there, you can sue him for his half of May's rent. If he doesn't pay in June, you can sue for his half of June's rent, too. Another option is to serve him with a 3 day notice to pay May's rent or remove his things, which could inspire him to take his things out and return the key. He's responsible for the rent until he moves out, and if you aren't able to find a new roommate right away, he'll have to keep paying until you can. One person doesn't have the right to use someone else's home for free storage, and that's essentially what your roommate is doing at this point. If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.