Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

Can a rental lease be broken reasons with a doctor's

Customer Question

Can a rental lease be broken for medicl reasons with a doctor's note?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question..No. The legal relationship between landlord imposes certain duties on both parties. The landlord is required to provide a habitable dwelling that meets all minimum safety and code requirements, but that is about it. The tenant is obligated to pay the rent in full and on time and not damage the property. But unless there is a specific clause in the lease that allows the tenant to terminate the lease early, then none is implied by law..However, if the tenant simply breached the lease, the landlord has a legal duty to mitigate his damages and attempt to re-rent the property. If it takes the landlord a month or two to re-rent, then that is all the landlord can hold the tenant liable for..So to minimize any potential liability, if a tenant has to breach, make sure they leave the place as close to spotless as they can so the landlord can immediately put it on the market and hopefully rent it quickly..As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years.....thanksBarrister