Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.

My mother died in greenfield, MASS without a will. she left

Customer Question

my mother died in greenfield, MASS without a will. she left a house & I was appointed by probate court to handle her legal mattters includidng the house. i want to have it transfered from my name to my son, Johnathan Towne. How do I do this since I live in Okemos, Michigan & cant travel to MASS
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You would have to engage a lawyer in MA to handle the probate of your mother's estate and to get all of the assets transferred. You cannot do that by long distance. As far as legal aid, they generally do not take cases unless it is for a MA resident, so if your son is a MA resident, he can go to legal aid for assistance and file a "Motion to Remove Administrator" in the probate court and ask the court to remove you because you are unable to perform the duties and to appoint him instead to allow him to continue finishing the probate with him as the administrator.