RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases
9540344

I am a tenant in a group of ten cottages. The new owner inspected

Customer Question

I am a tenant in a group of ten cottages. The new owner inspected the premises before he bought them eight months ago. He actually was the lead contractor renovating all the units for many years. I was notified this morning by letter in my door that all the cottages were to be inspected "to evaluate the condition of each unit, spray for pests or set traps, where necessary, & (sic) to provide ongoing pest control."
I have no problem with that , but he wants " all counters clear & and furniture pulled away from the wall ( if possible).
This cottage has never had a problem with pests. I don't feel I should have to pull all my furniture away from walls, and even worse, clear my countertops! This place is so small if I have to take my microwave, toaster, coffee thins...i have to put them in the yard and it is supposed to rain.
Is this legitimate or bullshit? Why should I clear m countertops? This is a newly renovated (2 years) place.
Category: Real Estate Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would prefer an answer now. Tomorrow doesn't help and I will not pay
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 year ago.
Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. You do need to cooperate and the owner/landlord does have a legal right to come in and inspect the cottage and address those issues/concerns stated in the letter. The requests should be reasonable and you should try and accommodate as well as possible. When clearing the counters, those items can be placed in the middle of the room, on a chair or some place other then outback. Placing the outside would not be reasonable and you could object to that if it was the only way to do this and place to put them. Your items should not be ruined or exposed to any damage
Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You didn't understand my question apparently. I have been a landlord and understand reasonable requests to inspect property. My first question you did not address is do I need to pull all furniture away from walls, even though it is obvious that there is no issue re pests or degradation. And why should I clear my countertop when it is all granite tile and easy to inspect?
Yes, if you are physically able to you need to pull it away, just so they can look behind and inspect. If not, simply advise them that you can not physically move it and ask that they accommodate you and help in the process. You stated above that they asked that this be done ( if possible), which implied if you can actually do it, please do. As far as the issues with the counters, they may want to be looking for cracks and to look behind items on the counters, like a toaster, coffee machine, etc. They are not asking to remove papers sitting in the middle of the counter but items which may block the wall