P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  12+ yrs. of experience including real estate law.
11181181

MY LEASE IS UP IN 2 MONTHS.MY LANDLORD HAS 2 MONTHS SECURITY.I

Customer Question

MY LEASE IS UP IN 2 MONTHS.
MY LANDLORD HAS 2 MONTHS SECURITY.
I DO NOT WANT TO PAY RENT FOR THE NEXT 2 MONTHS AND WAIT FOR THE LANDLORD TO GIVE ME BACK MY SECURITY. HE IS A CROOK AND OTHER TENENTS HAVE NOT RECEIVED THERE MONEY BACK.
WHAT CAN HE DO TO ME?
WHAT CAN I DO NOT TO PAY HIM?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 7 months ago.
Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to helpAlso, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen. I am sorry for this dilemma. If you provided a security deposit, the landlord can demand that the deposit be used for that purpose...so if you did not pay rent, when it is due? They (the landlord) can give you notice in writing and 3 days to pay...and if you continue to refuse to pay? Even with the deposit in the landlords account? They can sue to evict you...this would force you out and you would, in essence, loose the deposit. So you can refuse to pay...but if you do, they can evict you an keep your deposit. IF they do not return your deposit at the end of the lease? You can sue the landlord to recover that money. This is the part of my job I don't like...when the law is not in favor of my customer. I wish I could tell you that you can use your deposit for rent, but I can only provide you information based on the law so that you can act on the best available information to you...I wish I had better news, but can only hope you recognize and understand my predicament and don't shoot the messenger. I'm sorry!Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.