Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Qualified attorney in private practice including business, family, criminal, and real estate issues.
7286322

I live in Tifton ga My husband put a reverse mortage on our

Customer Question

I live in Tifton ga My husband put a reverse mortage on our home in 2011 The last year my husband hasn't handled finances well Last week we found out he has early onset dementia we wentto court house and arranged for me to get power of attorney Long story short reverse morage has foreclosed on our home it will be sold today on courthouse stes I am trying to find a attorney to help us they foreclosed because they say we had tenants in the house and didn't live here not trye we never left my children have moved in and out at various times to help us I went thru cancer for the last two years the reverse mortage people would not talk to me because they said I wasn't on loan Everyone tells me to hirire an attorney but do I have to leave the premises immediately or what Thank You Deborah ****** *********
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ely replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. I am sorry to hear about this situation, Deborah. To answer your question - once the home is foreclosed at auction, the new owner who purchases the property becomes the owner. You are now what is considered a tenant at sufferance, which is a type of tenant who lives at the property only at the discretion of the landlord. But they can ask you to leave at any time and evict you if you do not. You do not have to leave the property - yet. The new owner (it is normally the same mortgage lender) will give you a 30 days notice to leave voluntarily. If you do not, then they can evict. If you feel that there is a case to reverse the foreclosure (rare), someone in your situation may wish to indeed find an attorney ASAP. If you'd like, I can provide a list of pro bono/low cost attorneys in GA. Let me know by replying if so. Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty. I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.
Expert:  Ely replied 7 months ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!