RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases

Can the seller of a home negate a signed contract or change

Customer Question

can the seller of a home negate a signed contract or change the settlement date on contract
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 5 months ago.
Good morning. No, they can not, unless all parties to the contract agree. A party can not negate or cancel a contract unless there is a legal basis to do so or a clause which would allow them to back out, without a specific period of time or upon a certain condition. As far as the settlement date / closing date, it is not uncommon to extend the closing date if there are issue with lender or something out of the parties control and they should act in good faith, to try and close the transaction.
Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.