WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced real estate lawyer and real estate broker.
62735101

My Father-in-law passed and his wife has liferights. After

Customer Question

My Father-in-law passed and his wife has liferights. After that the property is to be divided by his 4 heirs. The wife wants to buy us out but says that the trailer home is not part of the property because it can be moved. That is not what we were told by my Father-in-Law. Is she correct or were we told wrong. Both the land and trailer home were purchased before they were married.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  WiseOwl58 replied 7 months ago.
The rule in North Carolina is that if the trailer is fixed on a foundation, then it goes with the land, but if it is mobile on wheels then it is not part of the real estate. You can tell by inspecting the mobile home as to whether the foundation is fixed or on wheels. Please rate 4 or 5 and close out the question. Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.
Please rate 4 or 5 and close out the question. Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.