Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

I live in new york. My 25 year old daughter's name is ***** *****

Customer Question

I live in new york. My 25 year old daughter's name is ***** ***** lease but she has moved in and out three times since 2013. She is abusive, steels from me and is very troubled emotionally. She has never paid rent or ultities. I have asked her to leave but she refuses. I am at my wit's end. The lease expires in September 2017. What do I have to do short of breaking the lease and moving.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Roger replied 7 months ago.
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist. Is her name the only one on the lease...or are you on there as well?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes. She has never been in school or employed or outside or waitressing jobs. The rent is almost $3,000.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Correction. My name is ***** ***** lease.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Are you there?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I supplement her public assistance.Provide clothes, diapers , baby furniture and other things the twins need. I babysit when she wants to go out. Of course, I don't charge. If she needs money I give it to her. The abuse has escalated. Stealing is the last straw and I told her that before she moved in.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The money is not the issue. I feel like a hostage in my own home. Yesterday I installed a lock on my bedroom door. Her temper and mood changes are extreme. I am fearful that she might become violent.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am nearing retirement but I told her that the twins could stay but she has to go. She reminded me that she is part of the package. She is adopted and we have been going through these battles since she was age three. It is very sad.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am going to go home now. I will look for follow up from you.
Expert:  Roger replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for the information and I apologize for the delay. I had a meeting with a client.
Expert:  Roger replied 7 months ago.
If you are both on the lease as tenants, then your rights are the same......and you likely cannot evict her because you're not the landlord. But, you do have the ability to request the landlord to remove her.
Expert:  Roger replied 7 months ago.
Otherwise, the only thing you can do is see if the landlord will allow you out of the deal. Generally, the landlord will allow this if another suitable tenant can be found to take over your current lease.
Expert:  Roger replied 7 months ago.
If not, you'd be stuck with maintaining the lease or facing liability if you were to breach it.
Expert:  Roger replied 7 months ago.
Please let me know if you have any additional questions. Also, please take time to positively rate our conversation so I may receive credit for assisting. Thanks again!
Expert:  Roger replied 7 months ago.