J. Warren
J. Warren, Lawyer
Experience:  Experience in residential real estate and commercial leases.
64316804

I have a neighbor who has pointed a security camera into my

Customer Question

I have a neighbor who has pointed a security camera into my side yard. The side yard is about 20' to the fence. The camera looks at the north side of my house where there are windows for my kitchen, one bedroom and a breakfast/nook. The latter has a sliding patio door that allow access to this side yard. I have asked him to point it away since it is intruding on my privacy. He refuses. Do I have any criminal or other legal recourse?
JA: Real Estate issues can be tricky and expensive. The Real Estate Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Real Estate Lawyer can help you best. Is there anything else the Real Estate Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: The neighbor complained about my dogs barking. When I first moved in two weeks ago, they barked since the neighbors on the other side have dogs. They have since settled down and do not bark. They are older dogs and not barkers.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Real Estate Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  J. Warren replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.I am sorry you are dealing with this situation. Can you please let me know the City and State you live in?This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.
I am still waiting for what State this situation applies to. Some States have specific laws against security cameras that are directed into a neighbors yard. However, in general a person does have an expectation of privacy and the intrusion of this expectation is actionable against the person committing the intrusion. Typically matters involving security cameras are civil in nature unless there is sufficient evidence to prove that the person is filming another with the intent to commit an act of voyeurism, that is filming someone in their house. The act may also be considered a trespass. Under these circumstances it will be up to the police to decide if there is enough to seek criminal action against your neighbor, but you have a right to file a report and have the police investigate.If the police decide this is a civil matter, under common law principles, a person may be held liable or ordered by a court to remove cameras that are invading the privacy of a neighbor. The problem you have is the fact your neighbor does not appear to be reasonable and it is likely that you will have to take him to court seeking an order to have the cameras directed elsewhere or taking down all together. You do have a right to privacy and to the extent the cameras are causing an invasion of this privacy, the neighbors act may constitute a cause of action. If the local authorities treat this as a civil matter you should retain local counsel to commence steps toward a remedy whether that be an attempt to resolve with a letter from a lawyer or filing a lawsuit.All my best and encouragement. Thank you for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! Please press a positive rating above this message box in the ratings section so I will be paid for my time assisting you on this matter. Pressing a positive rating will not cost any additional money - it is simply the trigger used by Just Answer to pay me for my time (pressing the middle star or the fourth or fifth star on the right are all positive rating buttons).
Can I answer any additional follow up questions for you or clarify anything I have written above? If not, can you please press a positive rating above this message box in the ratings section so I will be paid for my time assisting you on this matter? Pressing a positive rating will not cost any additional money - it is simply the trigger used by Just Answer to pay me for my time (pressing the middle star or the fourth or fifth star on the right are all positive rating buttons).