Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of real estate practice experience.
17897874

I need to remove my deceased spouse from my property title

Customer Question

I need to remove my deceased spouse from my property title and add my new spouse to it. What do I need to do?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 7 months ago.
Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney and I look forward to assisting you.Did you and your late husband own the property in joint tenancy, with right of survivorship?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'm not sure. Is that the way most property are owned?
Expert:  Loren replied 7 months ago.
It is the way most spouses own property and would make for the simplest way to add you current spouse to title.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
So what steps need to be taken to do this
Expert:  Loren replied 7 months ago.
Ok, assuming you and your late husband owned the property in joint tenancy, the property is titled now to you automatically as the surviving joint tenant.To convey title to you and your current spouse you would prepare a deed without warranty naming you as the grantor and you and your husband as the grantees. If you want to convey it as joint tenants you would state "...as joint tenants, not tenants in common, with right of survivorship..."Here is a link to a deed form you can use as a template: http://www.vuwriter.com/en/forms/2009-6/FM00000150.htmlYou would then record the signed deed with the county recorder.
Expert:  Loren replied 7 months ago.
Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?
Expert:  Loren replied 7 months ago.
If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (Excellent or Good) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.
Expert:  Loren replied 7 months ago.
Did you have further questions before you rate my service to you?
Expert:  Loren replied 7 months ago.
If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question. Thanks.