Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of real estate practice experience.

I'm a Mississippi Resident currently tied up in a 1

Customer Question

Hello, I'm a Mississippi Resident currently tied up in a 1 year lease. I have an opportunity to take up the monthly payments in my brother house as he is in the process of relocating. I'm wondering what if anything I can do to break my lease without having to pay tons of money. I'd thought about suggesting to pay 6 months rent to the Apartment Landlord. Need suggestions and or advice.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 5 months ago.
Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you today.When does your current lease expire?Any chance of getting a new tenant to take over your lease?
Expert:  Loren replied 5 months ago.
Are you online with me?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The lease isn't up until March 2017 and I haven't had any luck finding a replacement tenant
Expert:  Loren replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for the additional information and sorry for the delay. I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.
Expert:  Loren replied 5 months ago.
Unfortunately, unless the lease contains a provision allowing for early termination, you are obligated to the terms of the lease until the term expires.You can negotiate a lump sum settlement to be paid to the landlord to cut off or limit your continuing liability or you can find a new tenant to take over who is acceptable to the landlord.The important thing is that you get in writing any settlement you are able to reach with the landlord so that it is enforceable, along with a release of the current lease.
Expert:  Loren replied 5 months ago.
I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.
Expert:  Loren replied 5 months ago.
Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?
Expert:  Loren replied 5 months ago.
If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (Excellent or Good) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.