texlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  I have assisted many customers and clients with their real estate questions and experienced in real estate litigation.

I was given a Walkthru and a closing date by the Builder. I

Customer Question

I was given a Walkthru and a closing date by the Builder.
I made arrangements to have all my belongings packe and moved to a storage pod to be delivered to my New Home after Closing. The Builder could not Close me because they could not pass all Inspections to get a C.O.
I was given another Closing date,again the Builder could not pass Inspections.
I spent 2 weeks in a Hotel, I had to have my Storage Pod delivered to a storage location.
This cost me close to $2.500.00 .
Can I expect the Builder to reimburse me for these expenses?
What are my Rights?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  texlawyer replied 5 months ago.
Hello. I'll be happy to assist you.Ultimately, this comes down to what's in the contract between you and the builder. In some contracts, this exact situation is addressed, and damages are set out if the builder is not finished by a certain date. If that's not the case in your contract, that probably isn't a bad thing for you. In that situation, you could sue the builder for breach of contract, and you could recover the money you had to spend as a result of the breach, that is, the extra storage costs, hotel costs, etc. Also, you are helped by the fact that the builder was not able to get the building up to code; it's not as if the closing date was delayed because you made changes to the plan, or something of that nature. All that said, I believe you can recover your money from the builder.