Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.

We have a 40' wide roadway and utility easement of which our

Customer Question

We have a 40' wide roadway and utility easement of which our road into our place of business (a campground and rv resort) and our business sign is within. The easement was created in 1981. The sign has been place for at least 15 years.
Our neighbor is now telling us to move the sign. I do not want to move the sign.
An irony though--I don't want to create bad neighbors however the neighbor also has build a big decorative wooden fence on his side of the road but well within the easement.
My questions:
Do we have to move the sign that is within our easement?
Who really owns the easement (it originally came from St.Regis Paper) and does anyone pay taxes on it?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ely replied 5 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. 1) What is the utility easement for, exactly? Just the road, or something else?2) You mean that you own the easement on your neighbor's land, correct? This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.
Expert:  Ely replied 5 months ago.
Hello! Just touching base to see if you still needed an answer and if you could reply to my query. Thanks!
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Yes, I still need an answer, however may I call you mid morning on Saturday?
Expert:  Ely replied 5 months ago.
Sure. You can choose this option at your convenience from your screen. The site allows the expert to opt out of the call request, and I must respectfully ***** ***** not worry - other experts receive the request as well, and they may agree to the call. They will also have your question and my replies to build upon, so nothing will be lost.