Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years

We have purchased a 1 acre parcel of land in Arizona. Said

Customer Question

We have purchased a 1 acre parcel of land in Arizona. Said parcel has septic system, power and water on site. We have signed papers and paid for property, seller has signed papers, now at a title company, waiting on a septic system inspection. Turns out they cannot find a septic tank in place. Is the seller responsible for putting in a septic system or can the seller back of the sale? The seller is a real estate agent.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 5 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question..If there is not an actual septic system in place, and it was advertised as having one, then if this was a mistake on the part of the seller in thinking that there was one, that would justify them backing out of the deal. "Mistake" is a valid legal ground to avoid a contract and if he thought that there was septic, but there isn't, then that is a pretty big mistake..So that would give the buyer leverage to renegotiate a lower price based on the cost of installing a new septic system because obviously the buyer isn't going to pay the same price for a lot without a septic system in place..thanksBarrister