Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

My cousin has a speech impediment and didn't read his

Customer Question

Hello. My cousin has a speech impediment and didn't read his lease and thought that he could sublet his apartment. He sublet to a woman and signed an agreement with her on March 29th and allowed her to move in her furniture on April 5th. No money was exchanged. When he went to the management company to speak to them They informed him he cannot sublet and can get arrested for fraud. When he told her she has to move considering she hasn't paid him anything and he cannot sublet she refused. He relinquishrelinquished the apartment with the management company as of April 30th in hopes she will be out by then. He asked if she can please by april 24th. On a April 25th they saw that the locks for the apartment has been changed. He changed them again hoping to give the landlord back the key and she again changed it later on that night. The management company is no saying that they are going to have to take him to court for a holdover since she refuses to move. The management company themselves also told her she cannot stay. Does he have any other options at this point?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 months ago.
Good evening,I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your brother's situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs.I have been a licensed, litigation attorney for more than 30 years, and I have handled several thousand cases. Given the complexity of the facts, what you are asking for is all but impossible to respond to adequately in this written format, and in my experience is only practical to approach in a phone conversation.If you are interested, for a nominal charge I can offer you a phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread. If you are not interested just let me know and I will be happy to opt out. Perhaps someone else would be willing to tackle your request. Doug