How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 5436
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I own a lot in Arizona. I leased it to Carls Jr years.

Customer Question

I own a lot in Arizona. I leased it to Carls Jr for 20 years. They contracted with a contractor to build a building on the site. I had no part in the process. Carls Jr. filed for bankrupcy. They own the builder about 1 million dollars for the construction which is only 80% complete.
My question is . What liability do I have toward the builder?
Thanks for your help
Charles Dietrich
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  DrakeLAW replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer, my name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Please note:This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. This question and response may be viewed by other parties as noted in JA’s terms of service. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.You do not have any liability to the builder. I am guessing the Carls Jr filed a chapter 11? If so, they may reorganize and refinance with the builder. Also, if that is what they did, you need to watch if they reject or assume your lease. Which means they keep it in place as is or they can terminate the lease in the bankruptcy proceeding. Also, if they stop paying you, there are steps you can take, but you must first take them in the bankruptcy court. Does that answer help?

Related Real Estate Law Questions