Richard, Lawyer
Experience:  32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.

What do you do when a tenant won't sign a rental agreement

Customer Question

What do you do when a tenant won't sign a rental agreement?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.
Good afternoon. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you. If the tenant won't sign the agreement, then the tenant becomes an "at will" tenant. As an at will tenant, the tenant is treated pretty much as a month to month tenant and you can terminate the tenant in the same manner as for a month to month tenant. That means, you can give the tenant 30 days (60 days if the tenant has been there one year or more) written notice to terminate the tenancy. Although you cannot force the tenant to sign a lease, you, as the landlord, have no legal duty to continue the tenancy. Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!