Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.

I live in SC. My mother and father deeded me their home in

Customer Question

I live in SC. My mother and father deeded me their home in 2010 reserving them a life estate. My father is deceased. My mother is in assisted living. Is there a way she can rescind her life estate or her power of attorney rescind it leaving me the owner of the property?
JA: OK. The Real Estate Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Real Estate Lawyer can help you best. Is there anything else important you think the Real Estate Lawyer should know?
Customer: No one is living in her house. We the siblings are currently taking her possessions out of the house as Mom will never live their again. My brother told me my sister intends to turn the house over to me but I know some kind of paperwork will have to be filed. (My sister is wanting me to start paying the utilities)
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Real Estate Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 6 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Is your mother mentally competent?