Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.

An 11 year verbal contract between family honored, then the

Customer Question

An 11 year verbal contract between family honored, then the next 7 years paying Zero
towards mortgage, utilities, Repairs/Replacements/maintenance & property management fees. The non paying family has now filed a law suit to force sale of condo & asking that my side pay their attorney fees & 100,000 to them.
Is there a counter suit that should be filed?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ely replied 5 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. Can you please clarify the situation? 1) What was the agreement exactly?2 Who are you in this situation?3) Who is suing who? This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Please give me your last name
Expert:  Ely replied 5 months ago.
Hello, Sorry, but JustAnswer experts generally do not give out private information. I am going to opt out of your question and open this up for other experts.Your JustAnswer Account has not been charged for this conversation and your question is back in the queue. You do not have to stay online for the question to be active. Should an expert pick it up, you should be alerted via email and/or SMS (text message) unless you actively disable these features.There is no need for you to reply at this time as this will "lock" your question back to me, thus inadvertently delaying other experts' access to it.My apologies for any inconvenience and good luck...
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Sisters & Brother in laws bought a condo together as an investment. Trusting the partners we had a verbal agreement (& records show we all honored our original agreement for frist 11 years).
Agreement is that each couple pay 1/2 of down payment & 1/2 of ALL on going expenses. We have been with the sane property management company since 1998. Early in 2009 the "partners" stopped paying any of the on going fees, claiming they could no longer afford to. The brother in law acknowledged many times that he understood our equity was increasing as we paid off mortgage and HOA fees that doubled our payments on everything . HOA dues over 10k yearly, Mortgage till paid off was over 13K , Ski Season we made enough to run the property for another month, then back to adding funds as needed
They wanted to sell in down market, theen without making any payments for a year or 2, they decided to block off Christmas/New Years week...for their family. I explained we needed that income and since we were putting in double, it was not right for them to take away our best time for income. They finally released the hold. As of now they have served me with a law suit demanding a sale & my paying them 100,000.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Please note, when 1st approached by brother in law & then his attorney (before law suit) His attorneys' letter stated they were willing to take over 1 property (& I choose which of the 2) And that NO Money would be paid. I responded that they could buy me out, or I would buy them out, or we could sell with agreement we would each get the $$ we paid in over the years, then we would split the profit or loss. k
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
what happened to the right away??
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 5 months ago.
A different Attorney here. I have carefully reviewed your post. However, I do not understand your status with regard to this arrangement. Are you one of the sisters who is on the deed with the brothers-in-law? Are you one of the brothers-in-law? How many properties are involved? What is your percentage ownership of the properties? Why are you being sued? Kindly provide clarifying information; properly identify the parties, the issues, ask specific questions, and resubmit. Thank you for your cooperation,