Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

If I am selling my neighbor a 400 square foot piece of my property

Customer Question

If I am selling my neighbor a 400 square foot piece of my property should I do a boundary line agreement or a Quit Claim Deed or both
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Roger replied 12 months ago.
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist. You will have to issue a deed of some type (quitclaim or warranty) to transfer title of the property from you to your neighbor. You'll also need a legal description to place in the deed....which is usually a meets and bounds description of the property - which you can get a surveyor to develop for you. Alternatively, you can mark and identify the 400 square foot area based on references to monuments, roads, etc., etc. to get a description of the property.
Expert:  Roger replied 12 months ago.
Usually, it is best to get a survey done in order to specifically establish the area without question.....but a survey will likely cost $250 - $500, so the cost may not be justified given the small size of the property.
Expert:  Roger replied 12 months ago.
Please let me know if you have any additional questions. Also, please take time to positively rate our conversation so I may receive credit for assisting. Thanks again!