CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing HOAs, homeowners, businesses and others in real estate matters.
71563194

I been living in my apt years. Now the landlord

Customer Question

Hello. I been living in my apt for 21 years. Now the landlord decided not to renew the lease cuz he said he will be doing renovation to the building and our apt. So we have only 3 months to find an apt. Is this legal and what can we do?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 7 months ago.
Dear Customer,I am sorry to learn of this situation.Assuming that you do not live in a rent controlled community (there are not many of these), the landlord has no obligation to renew your lease, and 3 months exceeds the actual notice requirements (so the landlord has met their legal requirements).If you fail to vacate by the end of the 3 month term, the landlord is entitled to initiate an unlawful detainer/forcible entry and detainer ("eviction") action against you after which they will get a judgment of possession and can have you forcibly removed by the sheriff. Allowing this to go that far can buy you some more time (particularly if you appear in court and defend the action), but it will leave a bad mark on your rental record and make it much harder for you to rent in the future (ultimately the landlord will have you evicted).If you do decide to vacate earlier, make certain that you contact your landlord and make arrangements (most will agree to an early termination), if you do not you can be responsible for payment of rent until the end of the 90 days!