J. Warren
J. Warren, Lawyer
Experience:  Experience in residential real estate and commercial leases.
64316804

Land lord tenant laws… I was told that I would have to replace

Customer Question

Land lord tenant laws… I was told that I would have to replace the stove in my unit, after I The accidentally spilled oil that dripped into the stove. I live in State of Oregon.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  J. Warren replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.Does the stove still work?This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.
This is a tough situation. First, a tenant is not liable for normal wear and tear on appliances but is liable for damages. Arguably spilling cooking material is normal wear and tear. However, a court could rule that the unit was damaged permanently by the spill.Regardless, a landlord must replace an appliance to comply with the habitability requirements of under Oregon law. If he believes he is entitled to replacement cost he can hold that amount back from your security and sue you for any shortage if any. However, he must do this at the end of your tenancy. At that point, you could sue or counter sue the landlord claiming he is attempting to be compensated for normal wear and tear of an appliance.All my best and encouragement. Thank you for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! Please press a positive rating above this message box in the ratings section so I will be paid for my time assisting you on this matter. Pressing a positive rating will not cost any additional money - it is simply the trigger used by Just Answer to pay me for my time (pressing the middle star or the fourth or fifth star on the right are all positive rating buttons).
Can I answer any additional follow up questions for you or clarify anything I have written above? If not, can you please press a positive rating above this message box in the ratings section so I will be paid for my time assisting you on this matter? Pressing a positive rating will not cost any additional money - it is simply the trigger used by Just Answer to pay me for my time (pressing the middle star or the fourth or fifth star on the right are all positive rating buttons).