Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer- Broker 30+years - foreclosure, short sale, liens, title attorney.

We have a property owners association that maintains our road

Customer Question

We have a property owners association that maintains our road with road dues but the bylaws setup for this association to maintain the road are not being followed therefore the property owners have no say in how the road is maintained. As property owners what can we do to get this road association to abide by the rules. We have annual meetings to discuss road upkeep but nothing gets done only arguing. During the meeting there is only arguing and nothing gets resolved for keeping up the road. At the moment the only thing the association is doing is sending property owners that have not paid their road dues a notice from a lawyer of foreclosure on the property. We have have tried to video tape our meetings but have been arrested by the association for video taping the meeting. We need help but no attorney in our county or surround counties will help us. We need help but not sure what we need to do. Can you help us?? What do we need to do to stop the road assocation and get control of our road.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 6 months ago.
If the bylaws of the Association are not being followed, then members of the Association, that is other owners can sue the Association's officers and directors. A court can order their removal from office, and hold special elections. I don't know why lawyers won't take your case unless it's because it's the lack of money to pay them. Here is some good information about North Carolina laws governing property owners associations that you should become familiar with. Knowing what the laws are, will give you some idea how to deal with the current Association leadership. I wish you the best of luck getting everything worked out.
Here is the information that I referred to above. would appreciate a positive rating for this answer.
Hello again. Do you have a follow-up question? I am not an employee of Just Answer and I receive credit for assisting you based on your rating. I hope that you will enter a positive rating for my assistance here by clicking on 3, 4, or 5, for which there is no additional cost to you. Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.