Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience

I need some advise. I signed a contract to an agent to

Customer Question

I need some advise. I signed a contract to an agent to exclusively be the only one to show me homes for up to one year.. I rent. Bad iDEA. It's been about a month or so and she hasn't shown us anything nor have I been re approved.
nevertheless.. my husband likes no loose ends.neat and tidy so we want to break contract with this person now for many reasons... as not sure if we even want to move yet, changed our minds.. kind of up in the air even for health reasons.. Hubby is even considering building perhaps or might want to move in a totally different community.. so many variable in our life right now. He knows this too.. if and when were ready, he wants someone else to represent us..
Nevertheless.. we were told we have 3 days to wrote the agency and tell them why to break contract.. what reasons why are acceptable.. what are they looking for?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 6 months ago.

You can explain that first he has not done his job to your satisfaction and then go into the details about your changed circumstances. Aside from that it is hard to get out of a signed contract unless you have proof of fraud. In this case, he breached his end of the contract and so instead of suing him you are simply asking for a release.

Let me know if you have any other questions.