Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer- Broker 30+years - foreclosure, short sale, liens, title attorney.
18215332

My HOA prohibits a home business from selling directly out

Customer Question

My HOA prohibits a home business from selling directly out of your home due to the fact they dont want non residents picking up merchandise , however the board is considering a waver.
my question is , is it lawful to denide the waver because of the type of business?
JA: Real Estate issues can be tricky and expensive. The Real Estate Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Real Estate Lawyer can help you best. Is there anything else important you think the Real Estate Lawyer should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Real Estate Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 7 months ago.
however the board is considering a waver. my question is , is it lawful to denide the waver because of the type of business?Hello, and thanks for using JUST ANSWER. Yes the board has some discretion in waving certain provisions of the bylaws; however they have to be careful not to waive them favor of a select few, while excluding other members who are operating in substantially the same way. In other words, if I'm selling real estate in I put a sign in my yard advertising it, and someone else is selling insurance and wants to put the same kind of sign out, the board cannot discriminate between selling real estate in selling insurance. I hope that this information is helpful, and that you will give it a positive rating.