Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

I have a short-term furnished rental. The tenant broke an

Customer Question

I have a short-term furnished rental. The tenant broke an end table. I purchased the table in 98 but it is in perfect condition. I found a similar table to replace it for about $60. Is the tenant responsible to pay for the new table?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 8 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question..Is the tenant responsible to pay for the new table? .Unfortunately no, furniture used in a rental dwelling depreciates just like any other asset owned by the landlord. I don't know what a depreciation schedule would be for an end table, but most judges impose a 5-7 year depreciable life to rental assets. An 18 year old end table would likely have already used up its depreciable lifespan..You could try to charge them its replacement cost, but if they challenged it in court, they would win..As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years.....thanksBarrister
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
What if it was new?
If the table was new, you could charge for its full replacement cost. But realistically, if you charge them for the table, it may be unlikely that they realize the concept of depreciation or decide to fight about $60 in court.....thanksBarrister