Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.

My sister rents a bedroom to a family member in Texas. She

Customer Question

My sister rents a bedroom to a family member in Texas. She brought her boyfriend in to live there and a few weeks later she showed us a picture of him naked. He sent that picture to another woman on his phone. We told him he had to leave but she could stay. She has now chosen to live off and on in his hotel room and stay at my sister's house off and on. She has two dogs that she left unattended for three days in the bedroom. She has not paid rent for 5 weeks. My question is, are we required to give her a 30 day notice to move out? Can we take her dogs to the dog shelter?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ely replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. I am sorry to hear about this situation. Please clarify the situation: -How long did the family member (let us call her Betty) originally rent the room for?-Was the lease in writing, or not? How often is she supposed to pay rent? This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.
Expert:  Ely replied 5 months ago.
Hello! Just touching base to see if you still needed an answer and if you could reply to my query. Thanks!