Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Qualified attorney in private practice including business, family, criminal, and real estate issues.
7286322

I live in Utah. I have rental property in California which I

Customer Question

Hi my name is Aziza
I live in Utah. I have rental property in California which I gave to Property management company and they neglected my property so squatters have moved into my place and I need to sue this management company to get my property back. Can you help??
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 7 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

This service can give you information...but we can not represent you.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. Do you have a question regarding this? Are you asking the process to evict? Or resources for hiring an attorney?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I want to sue the property management company with whom I signed a contract to manage my properties instead they neglected my properties

Thank you...do you have questions regarding this? If so what are they please?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I had one house in Visalia which was totally destroyed by homeless people and I had to sell it cheap. The other house is occupied by drug dealers and the property managers keep reeling me that house is vacant. This is because they have not gone to check on my house
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Keep telling

I understand...and do you have questions regarding this?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
how can I sue the property management company. What is the process? They are located in Fresno California
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
what is the process or steps I need to take to get my money out of property management company since they breached the contract and neglected both my properties. They are located in Fresno CA

Thank you

You have to file suit in Fresno (since they are located there, that is the venue...or place you need to file the case)

There are two ways to approach this. Once, you can "do it yourself". This is possible in "small claims court"

Small claims is a true "peoples court". The formal rules of evidence and procedure do not apply. So you can represent yourself (no need to hire a lawyer).

The process is simple enough. You head to the court (in Fresno) and talk to the clerk of the court. They can get you the forms needed to start. You file the claim, serve a copy on the defendant and wait for your day in court. Since you are out of state, you can try contacting the court to see if they can send you the forms and allow you to file by mail

In court, be prepared to tell the judge what happened, and bring in copies of any evidence that supports your case. IF there are witnesses who can testify about what happened? Have them come as well.

You can sue for up to $7.5K in small claims (but you can not sue for your travel costs)

OR you can hire an attorney to assist you. This makes it easy...you can find an attorney here

http://www.fresnocountybar.org/services/attorney-referral

Through the county bar...or you can use this service

https://www.avvo.com/landlord-tenant-lawyer/ca/fresno.html

To select a lawyer to represent you

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I thought you were going to help me write a legal letter to the management company to get the process started. I am not satisfied with your answer I know how to look up those sites online.

Sorry...I do not understand where you got the impression i would write you a letter...but that is not available, as it clearly would violate the terms of service of this website that you agreed to when you came on the site.

I will opt out and allow other experts to assist you if they can. No need to respond...if someone else can help you they will

I wish you the best of luck

Expert:  Ely replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Your previous expert has opted out and I have opted in. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

What I can do is provide a sample demand letter. But it would be for educational purposes only and to show you what one would look like. You should not use it verbatim.

Would this be acceptable?