J. Warren
J. Warren, Lawyer
Experience:  Experience in residential real estate and commercial leases.
64316804

In florida, we signed a 24 month lease of an apartment.

Customer Question

in florida, we signed a 24 month lease for rental of an apartment. The owner wants to sell the place and is now saying that they agreed to a lease that's illegal in the state of Florida, anything longer than 12 months. Therefore she wants out of contract and is selling the unit. Is this correct or allowable?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  J. Warren replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.I am sorry you are dealing with this situation. That is not accurate as the lease agreement is not illegal. It is true that for a lease over 1 year it must be signed by the parties and have have the signature of two other witnesses. However, this is not a hard and fast rule as the courts are reluctant to evict a tenant who has accepted the terms of the lease, that is you have moved in and lived there for a year. At worse case, the court would rule you have a month to month tenancy at this point. But as an equitable fairness measure, it would be unfair to relocate a tenant who agreed to be there for two years in writing. While the law appears clear on its face, it does not automatically permit the landlord to terminate the lease and does not make the agreement illegal. It does unfortunately mean that you will have to negotiate an agreement with the landlord or have your day in court and let a judge decide.All my best and encouragement. Thank you for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! Please press a positive rating above this message box in the ratings section so I will be paid for my time assisting you on this matter. Pressing a positive rating will not cost any additional money - it is simply the trigger used by Just Answer to pay me for my time (pressing the middle star or the fourth or fifth star on the right are all positive rating buttons).
Expert:  J. Warren replied 1 year ago.
Can I answer any additional follow up questions for you or clarify anything I have written above? If not, can you please press a positive rating above this message box in the ratings section so I will be paid for my time assisting you on this matter? Pressing a positive rating will not cost any additional money - it is simply the trigger used by Just Answer to pay me for my time (pressing the middle star or the fourth or fifth star on the right are all positive rating buttons).
Expert:  J. Warren replied 12 months ago.