ScottyMacESQ
ScottyMacESQ, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed General Practice Attorney, Texas
19487448

I have a property that I rent. Last week a roofing company

Customer Question

I have a property that I rent. Last week a roofing company came to that property and started ripping the roof off of my property not knowing that he was at the wrong house. He wrote a letter apologizing for his company mistake and has sworn in the letter to replace my roof.
What are my rights if this is not done this week. He left a tarp on my roof so that it would not get wet.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  ScottyMacESQ replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. You do have rights to have it fixed in a "timely manner". No where in the law does it say "this week" or within "3 days", but rather it's based upon what is "reasonable" under the circumstances. But that being said, it's likely that a court would view this week as a reasonable period of time if the weather is decent and there are no issues that would come up (specialized shingles, etc...) on the roof. If they were not to do it within a reasonable period of time, you could take them to court and sue for the damages. Note that the damages would have to be a specific amount of money. You'd have to show the specific dollar figure that it would take to get the property back to the condition it was in before their actions. Note that you don't get to get a new roof out of this. If the roofer does so, that would be great, but your "damages" is the amount of money that it would take to get it back to how it was before their negligent actions. It's possible that this amount (if the roofer doesn't do it on his own) would be under the small claims limit in your state. Do a search on the web for your county and "small claims court." You should find either a website or phone number to the small claims clerk. Ask them what you need to do to bring such a lawsuit. The small claims clerk will give you guidance on how to file this suit and how to get the other party served with notice. You will receive a hearing date, at which you should present your evidence and ask for a judgment for the amount that you paid. Now if you have to do it on your own, you could first send a demand letter demanding that he do this. Send a demand letter demanding payment within 30 days, otherwise you will pursue legal action against him, seeking that amount plus any additional damages as allowed by law. Send this letter certified, return receipt requested, as well as a copy sent regular mail. Keep a copy for yourself, as well as the return receipt number so that you can show the court that you made a demand for the damages. Hopefully he'll act in a reasonable period of time and you won't have to do this. I know this is probably not what you wanted to hear, but it is the law. I hope that clears things up anyway. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3-5 stars). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!
Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?
If there's nothing else, please rate this answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better) AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service as OK Service or higher. It's only then I am credited.
I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know.If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** good luck to you!
I see that you STILL have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know.If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** good luck to you!