Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

I have received an eviction notice because the property was

Customer Question

I have received an eviction notice because the property was sold at auction and the new owner wants to renovate the two homes and the mobile home that I reside in that where all part of the purchase. however I have a lease from the former owner that does not expire until December 2016. do I have any legal rights as the new owner has raised my rent to 5x the amount on my lease without doing any work on the trailer and is taking me to court to have me removed from the property. thank you paul derry nh
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question..If the property was sold to a new owner and you have a written fixed term lease contract, then the new owner takes the property subject to that existing lease. The new owner can't increase the rent or change the terms of the contract in any way until it expires..Further, they can't evict you through the courts as long as you are paying the stated rent in the lease in full and on time and aren't breaching the lease in any way..So he is not allowed to increase the rent if you have a written lease contract good until Dec 2016...thanksBarrister