TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

In a small condo building (6 apartments), if one of the abandoned

Customer Question

In a small condo building (6 apartments), if one of the abandoned the apartment, stopped paying HOA fees and cannot be reached, and the apartment is not foreclosed on. Does the HOA management company have a legal right to take possession of the apartment and rent it out to recover some of the outstanding fees.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 7 months ago.
Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions. No, the HOA does not have the right to take possession of property that it does not own. Accordingly, in order to take possession, it would first have to foreclose and buy the condo. That is the HOA's recourse. Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied.
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 7 months ago.
Hello again. I didn't hear back from you, so I'm just checking in to make sure that you don't need more help on this issue. If not, then please remember to provide a positive rating to close out this question (and please remember that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so I greatly appreciate it). Thank you!