Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer- Broker 30+years - foreclosure, short sale, liens, title attorney.
18215332

Many condos where I live have considerable moisture/mold problems;

Customer Question

Many condos where I live have considerable moisture/mold problems; prior mgmt. got estimates and we thought work was being done. Last December mgmt. sold to another mgmt. co.---there was a meeting recently and just about every owner voted against any option to pay for the repairs which I understand are 3 million dollars. Mgmt. left the meeting stating "I just hope no one really gets sick from the mold". Do owners have any other alternatives? One of my questions is why would new mgmt. company buy a complex in this condition? Didn't they have to be told what was going on prior to sale? I reside in North Carolina.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 7 months ago.
Did the management company actually by the condo units or just the management itself. The condos are owned by the individual members are they not? Ultimately than the repair expense all on the owners, not the Management company. I'm not sure if this answers your question or not. If not please send me a reply we can continue the discussion.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
just the mgmt. itself. I asked one of the other condo owners if we could just have the work done and pay for it individually and he said no--the mgmt. company owns the outside????
$3 million for mold remediation? Good grief. How many buildings are there in the project? Your neighbor is correct that you cannot undertake repairs to the exterior without the express, i.e. written approval and consent of the Association. If you are not in contact with the officers of your Association about this issue, you should be. You mentioned a meeting at which the owners voted not to spend the money to fix the problem. What do they expect to do about it? Mold does not go away by itself, but unless your project is massive, I can imagine how it would cost that much to remediate it. Whatever it is and whatever it costs, I think you understand that it has to be done.If I can be of further assistance, please send me a reply on this thread. If not, I would appreciate a positive rating at this point. Thanks for using JUST ANSWER.
Hello again. Do you have a follow-up question? I am not an employee of Just Answer and I receive credit for assisting you based on your rating. I hope that you will enter a positive rating for my assistance here by clicking on 3, 4, or 5, for which there is no additional cost to you. Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.