How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Irwin Law Your Own Question
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 7243
Experience:  Lawyer- Broker 30+years - foreclosure, short sale, liens, title attorney.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Irwin Law is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Please kindly advise of who and how to legal advise-1997 our previous

Customer Question

Please kindly advise of who and how to legal advise-
1997 our previous owner conveyed portions of the house Lot to us and and to a square portion at bottom to a next door neighbor which closed out access to the alley, by separate deeds. The deed to the Neighbor encompassed the southern 42 feet of the lot. However, neither a formal subdivision of the lot nor a tax lot division was ever performed to reflect a separation of the 2 properties in the records of the DC Surveyor’s Office and the DC Office and Tax and Revenue. As a result, We had continued to be considered as one property within those offices, even though it is reflected as two properties with separate owners in the Office of the Recorder of Deeds.
As we understood our residence was not subdivided and all the years we paid all the taxes.
Plz advise what to do
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.
Good morning Farah: Thanks for contacting JUST ANSWER. Someone has created a legal mess for you. In most cities, once a lot has been established by a recorded plat, the owner can't simply divided it up by giving deeds for parts of it to different people. The owner also cannot cut off access of part of the lot to alleys and streets. You understand the problem when you said that no formal subdivision of the lot was ever obtained, and it would probably have been denied had one been requested. .You asked "what to do", but I don't know what the real problem is that you are trying to correct now. Please provide more details about the situation, and I might suggest a telephone conference so that we can speak directly, rather than through this question and answer format. I may have a few ideas foryou.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Irwin- r u a DC lawyer? Have u done easement process?
Due tax the Neighbour is having a problem since they never paid taxes.
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I do easement work. It's very possible that the solution, if there is one, lies in granting each other cross easements on the divided lot. It will require a good real estate lawyer as well as a surveyor to try to figure out how it can be done. As far as the taxes go, you and the neighbor will have to come to some agreement as to how to pay them. I doubt that the local taxing authorities will agree to split the taxes without having the lot subdivided into separate taxable parcels. You'll need a lawyer for that too. I wish you the best of luck getting things straightened out. This is about all I can tell you from here. It's possible that I can do a little more with the telephone conversation; however, I can't promise you that. I am dealing with this in theory only. I hope that this has been helpful and that you will assign it a positive rating.

Related Real Estate Law Questions