Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of real estate practice experience.
17897874

The home I am currently leasing has been placed on he market

Customer Question

The home I am currently leasing has been placed on he market for sale as a "For Sale by Owner".
I understand as per my lease that I must show the property to prospective buyers if given a 24 hour notice to do so and I have been complying.
The issue they are pushing now is that I must also allow them to hold an Open House with a 24 hour notice and they are also allowed to come over and go around the house looking inside the windows any time they feel like it.
For what it's worth, I have improved the property with their permission, it is immaculate, and my rent has always been paid on time and is current.
Thank you in advance for the help and please let me know too where and how I may be able to find representation should you feel it necessary.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 7 months ago.
Good morning. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.
Expert:  Loren replied 7 months ago.
What does the lease provide, as far as your obligation to show the property? Do you have to leave?Also, how much time is left in the lease?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No there is no provision in my lease regarding holding open houses.
The only issue referenced in the lease is the obligation to show te property to prospective buyers if I am given a 24 hour notice
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
By the way does that 24 hr notice men I have to allow them in within 24 hours>
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Are you there??
Expert:  Loren replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for the additional information.You have no additional obligation other than what is in your lease. If it only requires 24 hrs notice then they need only provide that notice, by the means specified in the lease. They do not need your consent, nor do they need to reach you personally.Likewise, they can not force an open house on you,unless that is provided in the lease. Showing to a prospective purchaser is not the same as forcing you out for the afternoon so anyone who wants may come through.
Expert:  Loren replied 7 months ago.
Are you still online with me?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
yes
Expert:  Loren replied 7 months ago.
Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
can they come over and look in the windows whenever they like?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
wher can I call to hire an attorney?
Expert:  Loren replied 7 months ago.
No. They must not violate your right to quiet enjoyment of the premises which you rent. That is also against the criminal code regarding privacy and trespassing.
Expert:  Loren replied 7 months ago.
If you need assistance finding local counsel try Martindale Hubble (site rules prohibit us from referring specific attorneys) . Many attorneys themselves use this site to locate attorneys outside their jurisdiction or expertise:http://www.martindale.com/Find-Lawyers-and-Law-Firms.aspxIt is a huge worldwide database searchable by location and specialty. The attorneys are all peer rated. So, they represent the top of the profession.
Expert:  Loren replied 7 months ago.
If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (Excellent or Good) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.
Expert:  Loren replied 7 months ago.
Did you have further questions?