Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  Texas Attorney for 30 years dealing in real estate
8534270

RAY, I have owned a sloping lot on Lay Lake in ALabama

Customer Question

HI RAY,
I have owned a sloping lot on Lay Lake in ALabama since 2010. I finally met with the builder and architect and the process started. My lot was one of the lots slotted to be have an engineered septic system. after having 3 different companies come out, my builder is telling me 1) there is no where that a septic tank can go on this lot. 2) there is no way to get trucks or equipment onto the lot for building. ....so far, I have gotten all documents that the county has from all previous owners AND I have contacted the Health department and they suggested that I have an engineer plot out the property. The builder is basically telling me to just buy another lot. DO I get a real estate lawyer or go ahead and pay for an engineer to verify that what the builder is saying is true? This is a gated community and all of these lots were sold as residential. The builder is also telling me that the lots on either side of me are in the same position. I only paid around $30,000 for the lot and the county has appraised it at $75,000. My concern is that I will take a very expensive route to figure out what to do and still be stuck with a bad lot. What should I do?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ray replied 7 months ago.
Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today. I think you have two choices.You buy another lot here or you sell t his one and look elsewhere.I cannot see paying the engineer I think you will spend a lot with questionable outcome. I think if you can see this for what you paid for it or more you ell it and look elsewhere.I understand they sold this as residential but unless you buy lot beside it here I think you are stuck. And the engineer may still not be enough for the county.They might still require another lot.The time to sell it is now if the ones beside it are vacant or buy a second one and stay. I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks again.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
But how can I sell it after the builder said it is a bad lot. don't I have to disclose this when I sell?
Expert:  Ray replied 7 months ago.
You will have to disclose that a buyer will need two lots or an engineer.I mean you can buy another lot here.But the engineer in my opinion is a big black whole.At least with a lot you get something for the money.And when you do sell it you will get more. The real problem here is the lots aren't big enough to allow you development on one lot.It is a common problem with a new septic system.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
gotcha, thanks
Expert:  Ray replied 7 months ago.
You are so welcome.I wish you the best.
Expert:  Ray replied 7 months ago.
If you can positive rate it is always much appreciated.