Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Qualified attorney in private practice including business, family, criminal, and real estate issues.

What are my rights as a mobile home owner on a rented lot.

Customer Question

What are my rights as a mobile home owner on a rented lot. Specifically there was a water main break behind my home. It flooded my lanai and might have caused damage underneath. My feeling is the park owner are my landlords but they look the other way when there are problems
JA: OK. The Real Estate Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: no I was waiting to see if there is damage, I just wonder if I have any rights at all
JA: Anything else I can tell the Real Estate Lawyer before I connect you two?
Customer: will I have to pay for this
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Real Estate Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ely replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. I am sorry to hear about this situation. Please tell me what state this is in?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  Ely replied 6 months ago.
Thank you. This is dealt with in Chapter 723 of the Florida Statutes. Chapter 723 typically applies to those individuals who own their mobile home, but rent the lot.
The owner has to provide a sanitary and livable space on the lot that they are providing. They also have to follow local health and safety ordinances.
If they are ignoring your complaints and requests (which should be in writing, not by email, text, or call), then the fastest way to get relief is likely to file a complaint.
Mail your complaint to:
Department of Business and Professional Regulation
1940 North Monroe Street
Tallahassee, Florida###-##-####
E-mail your complaint to Customer Contact Center at
Fax your complaint to(###) ###-####
You may call(###) ###-####to request a Mobile Home Complaint Form (PDF) or download a printable copy from this page:
Even the threat of doing so will often have the landlord fix the issue to avoid state oversight which can lead to a fine.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.