Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  13 years experience in RE Law, including LL/Tenant, contractor disputes, comm'l prop. issues

I live in Baltimore, MD. I recently had a fire at my home

Customer Question

I live in Baltimore, MD. I recently had a fire at my home and had to move into an apartment building while repairs were being made to my home. Soon thereafter, I noticed that my cell phone was not on the charger where I had left it. About two months later, I noticed that most of my clothes which had all been dry cleaned after the fire (still on hangers in the plastic bags) were missing from the apartment. There was no sign of break-in, and no one else had keys (other than persons who worked for the apartment complex).
Can the apartment owner be held liable for my loss?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Legalease replied 6 months ago.
Hello there ---Unless there is a clause in a lease or rental document that states that they are not responsible for theft and suggests that you purchase renters insurance for the time of your tenancy, then you can sue the apartment owner for these losses but unless the police actually state in the police report that this is an "inside job" then you may have a difficult time getting the apartment owner or their insurer to settle the matter out of court which means that you would have to go to a trial in this matter and the court would hear testimony from all sides, view the police reports and the police conclusions and make a decision regarding whether or not the apartment owner was responsible for the loss. In addition to a potential claim against the apartment owner, I also suggest that you file an additional claim with your own home insurance company -- because the reason why you were living in the apartment was due to a casualty loss at your home, this theft loss flows from the original loss and they may cover the items for you unless there is a specific exclusion in your owners policy that excludes such losses. -Please let me know if you have further questions. If not, can you please press a positive rating above so I will be paid for my time assisting you today. Pressing a positive rating will not cost you any additional money -- it is simply the trigger to Just ANSWER to pay me for my time. THANK YOU VERY MUCH-MARY